Home  |  About  | Last |  Submit  |  Contact
AllQuests.com

Previous Question:  P5k-E or IP-35 Pro  Intel Info And SupportNext Question:  P5WDH reboot issue  Intel Info And Support
Question 26 120mm Fans Tested and Compared ( XtremeSystems Forums Air Cooling )
Updated: 2008-02-23 19:56:28 (499)
26 120mm Fans Tested and Compared

Howdy all....this is long awaited and long delayed....but I'm very excited to be able to finally put up the finished version today!

First off, I'd like to talk about the market, objectives, methods, and use of these results.

1) The fan market is an interesting one....there are at least a hundred different 120mm fans to choose from, all with different color, noise, CFM, pressure, lighting and radiator characteristics. Theoretically, there should be a different fan for every use....and a different fan for everybody's setup.

There's an issue with it though....manufacturers lie about fan performance ratings. Well, unless you test, you can't confirm that, but let's say that some fans have ratings that just seem 'too good.' How has the community dealt with this? User experience and rationale....there is one rating which is typically very accurate as it can be easily measured by users: RPM.

Through the user experience, the community (well, XS at least) has settled in on a few favorite fans. Is this justified? Well, as you'll see, not all fans are created equally.

2) Well, since some fans are just blatantly mis-rated, and others seem just 'too good,' I became very interested in the true performance of fans, on a consistent and reliable platform. I looked around the internet, and while there had a been a few reviews out there...they were either too focused on silence for my liking, and/or fell short on technique and results.

I hunted down proper hardware to test a fan's CFM output and dB measurements. After gathering the testing equipment, I formed a methodology that would provide extremely consistent and telling results.

3) To measure CFM, I purchased an anemometer that could accurately measure the 120mm equivalent of ~2CFM all the way up to ~350CFM. Rather than just put the anemometer up to the fan and draw a conclusion based on air moved at the hub (which is almost useless), I have shrouded the entire area between the anemometer and the fan. This is to ensure that all airflow is measured, not just the airflow at the hub or another part of the fan. On top of that, because air coming out of a fan, in addition to having forward momentum, has rotational momentum, I have the fan pull air through the measurement setup. Initial results, compared to trusted ratings (Delta, Panaflo, Yate Loon) were EXTREMELY accurate. CFM testing was done at 1V increments between 4V and 12V when possible. Minimum running voltage was also tested. This test is to test the validity of manufacturer ratings and also CFM pushing capabilities as a case fan.

To measure the restricted CFM, I fastened a Swiftech MCR120 radiator between the fan and the measurement setup. This would put a consistent restriction on the fans, and because it was also a commonly used radiator, it allows us to draw conclusions which fans are best for a typical radiator setup for watercoolers, especially those using a shroud to reduce effects of the hub. Restricted CFM was tested at 1V increments between 4V and 12V when possible. Minimum running voltage results were extrapolated from 4V results.

To measure decibel ratings, I fastened the fan on an exhaust hole on a case and positioned my decibel meter 12cm away from center of the fan. It was angled from the side such that it would not suffer from any buffeting. The dB meter is isolated from any external vibration through bubble wrap. dB readings are used throughout the comparison and are measured from 4V to 12V, as well as minimum running voltage.

To measure CPU tempurature, I used Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX on a Celeron D and P5W DH configuration clocked at 3.6GHz and 1.63V (loaded). This setup was used because the TTBT can easily mount ANY 120mm fan, responds well to increased airflow, and because it is a very good cooler also capable of keeping the Celeron stable with very low airflow. The Celeron D was used because it runs extremely hot yet can also run at extremely high temperatures stably (87C loaded was the highest temperature I saw, and it was stable). Speedfan and OCCT were used to load, measure and record temperatures. A UEI DT200 was used to measure ambient tempuratures. WCG was run as an 'idle state' in order to prevent the processor from cooling down too much, allowing me to use a shorter (8 minutes rather than 30) load time to assess performance. If a processor did NOT cool down at the completion of the 8 minutes of load, the test was repeated until it did (always the next try). The maximum temperature readout was used as loaded temp. Ambient temperature was subtracted and gives use a dT, the basis for determining which fan is ideal for CPU cooling. This test was done because restricted CFM alone cannot be used to determine fan performance cooling a CPU due to varying hub sizes and air dispersion patterns. The test was performed at 12V, 9V, 7V and 5V when possible on every fan.

4) Having tested the methodology multiple times and having tested each fan at least twice, I am extremely confident these results are accurate, repeatable and revealing. This allows me to test fans later and obtain results that are directly comparable. This is key.

There may seem to be results that, especially with the use of lines connecting the points, seem out of line and I recognize them as well....they are repeatable results and I'm not 100% why fans sometimes behave like that

There are also some fans that have extremely long 'lines' connecting the points. This is because these fans do not scale linearly with voltage (most fans do). In these cases, the manufacturer supplies a small rheobus to change the fan's supplied voltage. The rheobus is specially designed for the fan and typically only varies the supplied voltage between ~8.5V and 12V. This ensures the voltage cannot go too low to prevent startup. Anyway, long story short....with these fans, at around 9.5V, the RPMs suddenly drop off almost completely.....this provides both a silent and high-CFM fan in one setup (though not simultaneously). Because I test at 1V increments, often times a fan will be powerful at 10V and then at 9V will be spinning slowly and due to the organization of results, that results in very separated scatter points for those fans. Testing at intermediate voltages with a resistor or user-supplied rheobus is EXTEMELY difficult due to the exactness needed in pinpointing voltage levels. It was therefore not done.

I supply a set of graphs with 'adjusted dB' that can be roughly used to judge whether or not a fan manufacturer is honest about their ratings. These are non-scientific....just a simple linear adjustment of measured dB determined from a group of trusted manufacturer ratings (Delta, high-speed Panaflos, Yate Loon). It in no way changes the results, just the scale they are on. I would put their 1meter accuracy at around 95%.

Hopefully they can be used to put perspective on the dB readings in the scale we are all used to dealing with.

n.b., yes, I realize there are some issues with some of the later graph's titles and axis titles....I'll fix them later, they are minor though

EDIT: I would also like to have a big shout out to member Baenwort who provided many of these fans for testing, it would only be a fraction of the 26 if he hadn't lent me part of his collection.

Answers: 26 120mm Fans Tested and Compared ( XtremeSystems Forums Air Cooling )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranker
Hey Vapor,

Have you ever taken a look at the Silverstone FN122's? http://www.petrastechshop.com/12sifncafanb.html

I've replaced all of my fans in my U2-UFO home office machine with these and they're quieter than any fan I've ever owned. I'm wondering if there's a catch or if their design works well with the radiator as well.
Dont you hear a squeal or whine noise with those?

hecktic

When I got my FM123, I also ordered an FN122, but it was out of stock. A few posts up, I do mention how interested I am in it....

I'll look into it again....but my FM123 will not be included in my tests because it's the biggest POS I've ever tested, beyond being a lemon....not happy with Silverstone right now.

Vapor

Hey Vapor,

Have you ever taken a look at the Silverstone FN122's? http://www.petrastechshop.com/12sifncafanb.html

I've replaced all of my fans in my U2-UFO home office machine with these and they're quieter than any fan I've ever owned. I'm wondering if there's a catch or if their design works well with the radiator as well.

ranker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor
I have ~12 NMB-MAT fans here....mostly Panaflo and some Scythe. Only the 1100RPM Scythe ever gets 'quiet'....and none really undervolt well.

The H1BX/H1As at 7V push ~60CFM at 36dBA. So yes, it does get quiet enough, but no, it's nowhere near the better fans out there at the same amount of noise.

(your ebmpapsts do 74.3CFM at 35.3dBA, the Sharkoon 2000 does 74.2/34.8, the San Ace 1011 does 80/35.4 on the new testbed (louder adjusted CFM results than the first one), and the Scythe S-Flex F does 60.5CFM at 33.4 on the new testbed.....these are all 12V except the San Ace, which is at 8V)
What sort of noises are the Minebea fans making when undervolted that make them undesirable? Besides the noise is the performance good at lower voltages?

I was really wanting the Sharkoon 2000 for the two top blow holes of my TJ09 but apparently being sleeved they don't work well when placed on their back horizontally? I never knew this before. I guess sleeved fans should sit vertically to work best as performance dropped if placed on their back horizontally?

cantankerous

So what is the quietest fan at stock voltages? I'm in australia so the Noctua's are easy to get...

AusScare

cheapest?! Wow, I checked out performance-pc's and they were damn expensive. I guess I have no choice?

cantankerous

has anyone try this fan http://www.acousticpc.com/mechatronics_fans.html? im looking for performance.

chispy

holy crap, that seems like a Delta killer. Running at over 18w, you wouldn't be able to power this from any commercially available controller and most certainly not a mobo header. You would need to run this straight from an adapter to a molex. Even the Sunbeam Rehobus can only stand up to 18w max per channel.

cantankerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantankerous
cheapest?! Wow, I checked out performance-pc's and they were damn expensive. I guess I have no choice?
PTS its $16.99 PPCs its $14.95 Newegg its sold out $13.99
so up to you again. its not dead silent but the performance is amazing dropped my temps by close to 5 degrees from s-flex f series to this.
i'm going for the s-flex f fans for the top fans cause these fans are 119 don't really clip on the tj09 fan bracket that well.

Delta FFBs still own.
http://www.delta.com.tw/product/cp/d...x120x381mm.pdf

Ar3s

Exactly, perception is what's key here. The scale is logarithmic in order to quasi-linearize it to what we hear....but everyone's perception is different (and ever changing). This is one reason why a CFM/dB ratio is not applicable. (neither is a non-logarithmic scale)

That said, since ambient in a very quiet room is ~20dB, saying 50CFM at 30dB is a better ratio than 25CFM at below-ambient noise levels is also preposterous. This is where high speed fans 'win'

The few things that matter, IMO....are:
1) maxing out fan performance for how much noise do you desire/require
2) minimizing noise for an amount of performance you desire/require
3) have flexibility in fan performance (undervolting for 24/7 and 12V for benching)

Based on these points is how I organized my data. Each datapoint is at 1V increments so it's easy to count down from 12V and compare. Also for this reason, I have not declared a 'winner.' The data, IMO, speaks largely for itself.

There are a few cases where I'd personally use a lower performance fan, however. If I needed a lot of fans for not a lot of money....Yate Loons. Some situations need easy manipulation of voltage.....say if at 7V (very easy to wire up w/o a rheobus) I want to hear nothing, a Silverstone FN121 would be necessary (and not a bad choice anyway).

Vapor

Serialk11r, you've missed the point of the logarithmic scaling of the dB scale. The reason for this is that we don't perceive the Delta as being 3000 times louder then yate loons. So there is no point in saying it, because loud is perceptual, and dB is an intensity scale.

spider_d

I ordered one each of the Golf Ball 2000 and the Pabst. They both seem nice enough, although the Pabst feels like a higher quality unit. The Golf Ball states it's a sleeve bearing fan. Any opinions regarding the longevity of these fans?

mdmbkr

Quote:
Arctic cooling 12....added to the list.

What exactly constituted the "ergonomics" score? Why did the Sharkoon 1000 do so well but the 2000 finished last? Power draw I'm guessing?

I kinda wish they just had a graph instead of this weird scoring algorithm....quiet fans get killed in it because it's a dB/CFM ratio and their ambient was ~31dB.

I do like that testing though if it's repeatable....cool something in a chamber is a good idea.
LOL CFM/dBA ratio actually works the other way around: the "worse" the ratio, the quieter the fan!!! LMAO
Its funny how people actually fall for the "CFM/db ratio" thing, decibels are LOGARITHMIC LOL. So the delta fan that has "the best cfm/db ratio in the industry" actually is the loudest, being 3000 times louder than a yate loon low speed fan but pumping only 5 times the air.

serialk11r

Arctic cooling 12....added to the list.

What exactly constituted the "ergonomics" score? Why did the Sharkoon 1000 do so well but the 2000 finished last? Power draw I'm guessing?

I kinda wish they just had a graph instead of this weird scoring algorithm....quiet fans get killed in it because it's a dB/CFM ratio and their ambient was ~31dB.

I do like that testing though if it's repeatable....cool something in a chamber is a good idea.

Vapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered
Thats all I can do ... I cant read a word thats not English or a foul slang of it.

Interpreter?
Google translator FTW
Not perfect but at least readable.

SparkyJJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos
Thats all I can do ... I cant read a word thats not English or a foul slang of it.

Interpreter?

Altered

Everyone have a look:
http://66.249.93.104/translate_c?hl=...language_tools

Cronos

Quote:
All three of my M1s perform exactly the same. My three H1s and two U1s also perform exactly the same. All but one of my Panaflos are NMB-MATs.

The fans just don't seem to undervolt particularly well.
Thank you.
I am choosing between Papst and Sharkoon then for radiators.
From your subjective experience, which one sounds "better", has more bearable tone at high and medium speed? Which one would you choose?
Also, the sharkoon is 4$ more expensive and i need 10 of either one

Cronos

I would love to try out the SM or SL (although with dodgy CFM ratings) but unfortunately there's not a single retailer here in Malaysia that brings the yates.

I still havent open my PSU yet to check for the fan, but from a review done by SPCR here, it says that the fan is actually an ADDA 12cm fan with 0.44amp, no specs on the CFM though. the fan has those clicking sound which annoys me the most, especially because my PC is located rite beside my bed.

Anyway, thanks for your recommendation. Shall study the graphs again to choose a suitable candidate for the fan swap. Very much appreciate your help.

vassalle

vassalle...based on the SL, I'd bet the SM and SH are pretty good fans. The blade geometry is slightly different in the SH IIRC, but that's probably because it's a higher speed fan, and one blade design isn't 'right' for all speeds.

However, if the SM and the SL are based on the same basic design, I'm skeptical about it's 70CFM. The SL at ~1320RPM pushed ~46CFM, so I don't see a bump to 1650RPM pushing 70CFM. The designs could very well be different however.

For your PSU....I believe it comes with a black FM121 (the Evercool version....exact same specs, but CFM ratings are much more sane ). If you're at its loud point, that means you're probably putting a decent load on the PSU...meaning you'll need another moderately fast fan. One thing about the FM121 is that at 8V, it's practically not spinning....unlike all other high speed fans. So any different fan you put in, will be louder at idle....but being quieter at load. A fan that's strong on a radiator is what you're looking for here

Vapor

dont think there is anything new I have seen comes by, but if u looking at that range of rpm, I think a Sharkoon 2000rpm or Zalman 1800rpm are good, like Vapor mentioned, and Scythe S-Flex F-series are great, and not much difference between with those 2 in performance

mc2k

Thanks. I have the Zalman 1800rpm but it is sleeve based, as is the Sharkoon so cannot be oriented on its back for 24/7 use. I need something ball/fluid bearing based.

cantankerous

Has anybody seen tests of the Scythe Ultra Kaze fans?

L'enFer

Quote:
Thanks. I have the Zalman 1800rpm but it is sleeve based, as is the Sharkoon so cannot be oriented on its back for 24/7 use. I need something ball/fluid bearing based.
The Scythe-S-FLex F? it should performan nearly the same as the zalman and sharkoon.

mc2k

Question. It has been awhile since I checked this forum for updates but is there any new 120mm fans in the market that are NOT sleeve based but either 1800rpm-2100rpm and 25mm thick that are recommended? High RPM is a must due to restrictions on my case where the fans are to be placed.

cantankerous

Hi there.
I have a question/request for you Vapor.
Why don't you use the Noiseblocker Ultrasilent in your round 2?
It seems they are very good fans, at least in other forums/sites they talk about them...
What is your opinion about that?
I want to buy 2 fans 120mm for in&out and 2 80mm for in&out, to install in my NZXT Lexa, and i'm thinking about buying those Noiseblocker, the model SX1 (120mm) and S1(80mm). The specs in their site are better than any other i've seen, in terms of cfm/noise, being my limit for the noise item, about 20db.
SX1- 1200rpm 38cfm 17db
S1- 1500rpm 22cfm 11db
S2- 2000rpm 29cfm 19db
What do you say!?
Cheers

TiMi

I have a question about Yate Loon fans. It seems that the general consensus is that sleeve bearings in a non-vertical position = bad.

However, I notice some PSU OEM's use YL DS12H fans in a horizontal position to cool their power supplies.

Don't sleeve bearings make bad noises and such in this kind of mounting position?

cegras

Man, those 21 pages are a lot of info to digest lol....first off, thanks vapor for all your hard work i never realized there was a such a big difference between fans!....i cant even imagine how many hours you put into testing all those fans My question is, what fan would be the best for my mcr320 rad?....im currently using 3 YL D12SM-12 but i dont think they are really cutting it as far as cfm goes. I especially want to change them now that i read your tests and see that they only push about 55 CFM...I just ordered this external fan controller http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999167
so i can control my rad fans (if you look at my sig link you will see why i need an external fan controller) I was going to switch to the YL D12SH since they are so cheap but now after reading all these posts i am seriously considering the San Ace. Im looking for something that will be fairly quiet on 5-7v and have that extra headroom for when im gaming, while still pushing quite a bit of air for when im watching movies etc. Thanks again for all your testing and info man, you have helped tons of people make informed purchases!

myerz635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar3s
my fans..

is it me or Japanese packaging reminds me of hentaii... maybe it's Ar3s' avatar... maybe i should just shut up...

kinghong1970

Panaflo M1J best fan (pressure&cfm/noise) for less then $6?

Flak

my fans..

Ar3s

Zalman it seems to be then. How much noise do they generate at 5v-7v ?
S-flex and Noctuas are priced the same at 18e it seems. My bad.

jukkis83

I still haven't finished reading this thread, freaking ~500 posts already, but will eventually get through it all.
I just wanted to say thanks to Vapor for all the info. Up until a week ago I never considered Sharkoon fans and now I own three Golfball 2000's and I am very pleased with their performance.

TouGe

wow the noctua are cheaper than the s-flex f fans... thats amazing news.. finland hmm.

Zalman ZM-F3 cause of that price. They provide the unvolting wire so it shouldn't be that bad. The Scythe S-flex F would be my 3rd choice. The Sharkoons are 2nd.

Ar3s

I'm currently using Zalman ZM-F3's (red led) and they are noisy at 12v, but can be significantly undervolted and still push a lot of air.

If you're looking for Yate Loon's (also a good choice), you can try Petra's Tech Shop - they ship internationally and shipping costs are not excessive. I bought most of my wc components from them, and I live in Spain.

~aoe~

Hi, Im a newbie to xtremesystems. I'd like first to thank Vapor and others in
this thread for awesome input.

Then to the issue at hand. I live in Finland and not all of these fans are available here. Im thinking of buying a new case and watercooling set. I need some fans that would be cheap and work on many applications as case fans, radiator fans etc. 120mm. Silence is criteria #1, after that comes airflow and then price but I rather not pay 20euros for a fan, not matter how good it is

Availability:

Adda: 120 x 120 x 25 AD1212DF-A73GLLF about 15e

Aerocool: Silver Lighting 120mm l
1000RPM/61.17CFM/19.5db about 12e

Antec: Tricool series about 20e !

Cooltek
120 x 120 x 25mm 1000rpm, 15db/A, 38.3 cfm less then 8e

Nanoxia: Series about 15e

Nexus: D12SL-12, 120x120x25, 1000 RPM, 23 dB about 20e

Noctua: NF-S12-800 and NF-S12-1200 about 18e

Noiseblocker: Series about 20e

Papst: Series over 20e

Scythe: Series S-FLEX about 18e

Sharkoon: Silent Eagle about 15e

Silverstone: All the ty models.

Zalman: ZM-F3 about 8e.

Now Im leaning towards Zalman ZM-F3 because of the price and Vapor's comment on that. Any new info about these and are they good for all applications? Any other suggestions? Cant find Yate Loons easily from anywhere. Info on Nanoxia series? http://www.nanoxia.com/?go=fx12&cat=products&lng=de

Thank you in advance.

jukkis83

Were the "newest" graphs ever posted? Still trying to find the "best" 120x25 and 120x38 for pressure&cfm/noise.

Flak

please test the new scythe ultra kaze fan's there's 2000rpm 32dba 87cfm version and a 3000rpm version

cheers mate

disruptfam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polizei
Anyone know how well Delta's undervolt?

Specifically the AFB1212SHE? Sidewinder has them for $11.95 on sale, I was going to pick up one or two of them for that price (once they come back in stock) and put them on my Sunbeam rheobus.
Deltas undervolt really well.

Ar3s

Anyone have any input on these:
Kingwin F012BB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811999965

I bought a bunch of them when newegg was running a special many months ago but haven't exactly gotten around to using them.

Flak

Anyone know how well Delta's undervolt?

Specifically the AFB1212SHE? Sidewinder has them for $11.95 on sale, I was going to pick up one or two of them for that price (once they come back in stock) and put them on my Sunbeam rheobus.

Polizei

So basically I have 2 under performing fans or 1 fan that is just performing a bit better than the other 2. BTW, I am running 3 Yate Loon D12SH-12 in series to a Sunbeam rheobus controller. I finally have my water loop ready to go so now I can start to test some of my spare fans and get the best ones for the job.

-yonton228/timmy

yonton228

Vapor:

Wow. I mean... well... what i want to say is... well... wow. Great post and incredible analysis!

I was waiting for the results of your second round of tests, but I decided to "delurk" and ask you a question in the meantime.

I have a stable overclocked E6600 cooled with an Ultima 90 and a 120mm Tricool fan running at "medium" (which I believe is around 7.5V). I have 2 case fans (120mm Tricools, both running at low, around 5V). My temps are 43C at idle, and 57C when under 100% TAT load. I know I could get lower temps by increasing my fan speeds, but I prefer to sacrifice a few degrees so I can run a more silent system.

My rig is in a very quiet room, and I find the Tricools are "less than silent" My PSU is a very quiet Corsair, so the main sources of noise are, by far, the three Tricools. What I would like to do is to get fans that will produce the same airflow I now have, at the lowest possible noise level. So, I need to:

1) find out what CFM is produced by the Tricools when running at "low" in open air (for the 2 case fans), and at "medium" with restricted flow (CPU fan).

2) Find out which fan is the quietest at each of these two CFM levels.

Before finding your post I had been "flying blind". The little info I had suggested that I need a Scythe S-Flex SFF21F for the CPU and run it at 9V, and two Nexus D12SL-12 for the case, and run them at 7V. I am very eager to see the results of your second round of testing to see if these are good choices or not. What do you think? Or is there a "quieter" way to get these CFM levels?

I would even consider raising my temps a little -- sacrificing a few CFM in either the case fans or the CPU -- if it means I could get an even more silent system.

I know you must be back in school by now, so if answering this will be too much work don't worry about it -- I will (eagerly!) wait for you to post your results. If you have a few minutes, though, any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I now have my CPU fan also on low -- my load temps only increased about 2 degrees, so they are still under 60C at 100% TAT load. So, maybe I can get away with using a CPU fan with a lower CFM than the SFF21F

wgoldfarb

I'd stick the S-Flex fans in there too....not everyone likes sleeve bearings (rightly so, I suppose).

And to everyone: you're welcome....I've (mostly) enjoyed it and the learning experience

Vapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
Good to know. Thanks.

I have a seasonic (might as well be corsair, they are made by corsair right?) so I can hear the San Ace 1011s clearly. My p180 case is QUIET. I am lucky that the CPU can actually sit at idle with on fans. I guess my cooling loop + triple radiator moves enough heat passively.

So basically:

Sunnon = CRAP

Yate Loon = the best budget fan

San Ace 1011 = cream of the crop

eh?
Stick the Zalman in the middle there. Very versatile, basically silent with the included resistor, but lots of airflow and very loud at default 12v.

Soulburner

Quote:

I'm DONE testing fans!

)
Hat's off to you sir for all your hard work and excellent output. I will miss hunkering down to read your thread though. I bought me some San Ace 1011 the first time you mentioned them to me and I will never look back...they are far and away the finest fan I have ever used.

I know just what you mean about being sick of testing fans...I only tested about a dozen and threw in the towel...just to make sure I sold them all too lol.

Thanks again for a great thread and all your dedication!

CyberDruid

Quote:
At 3 feet away pulling through a rad? Yeah, they really move too much air to be truly silent, even at 4V. But the amount of noise on my fans is miniscule, just a touch louder than an S-Flex D. I doubt I could hear them over a non-Corsair PSU tbh.
Good to know. Thanks.

I have a seasonic (might as well be corsair, they are made by corsair right?) so I can hear the San Ace 1011s clearly. My p180 case is QUIET. I am lucky that the CPU can actually sit at idle with on fans. I guess my cooling loop + triple radiator moves enough heat passively.

So basically:

Sunnon = CRAP

Yate Loon = the best budget fan

San Ace 1011 = cream of the crop

eh?

Synthetickiller

seasonic makes corsair psus not the other way around. corsair does ram.

i'm trying out the panaflos since i found a local store selling brand new ones for about $10 each.

Ar3s

Quote:
I'm DONE testing fans!
Woohoo! Thank you very much for all the hard work you keep doing Vapor. This thread is officially epic as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
I anxiously await your results....
x2

kuhla

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoic
Let the San Ace 1011 counterfeiting / relabeling begin !

Nah, I think it's just typical wear and tear that they experience. The motors are very 'floaty' (GREAT for open air...I mean like zero motor noise at almost all voltages, it's awesome.....BUT wear and tear occurs after extended use [a year+ maybe?] and it dampens radiator pull-performance somewhat)

And I can't wait to get the full gamut of graphs up soon....there's definitely a few winners in the bunch

Vapor

Awesome job Eric. I appreciate all your hard work and question answering along the way of your testing. I anxiously await your results though have already got my mind set on the San Ace as well as that Zalman ZM-F3 since you mentioned it too was a good fan.

cantankerous

Let the San Ace 1011 counterfeiting / relabeling begin !

evoic

Hats off to Vapor for sheer, dogged, determination and making a WEALTH of knowledge available on one of the most sought-after topics on any hardware forum.

Thank you, stranger.
Much appreciated.

evoic

Thanks for runnings all these tests. I can't believe you can actually test that many fans. Its crazy.

I do have one question. When undervolting the San Ace 1011 Fans, did you ever notice that if you use them as a pull on a radiator, no matter what you did, they are still audible? Just wondering....

I have no equipment other than my ears, but I can clearly hear them from 3 feet away, even though my case separates me from them. This sounds right or do I have a few fans that just aren't up to snuff? They are used btw.

Synthetickiller

At 3 feet away pulling through a rad? Yeah, they really move too much air to be truly silent, even at 4V. But the amount of noise on my fans is miniscule, just a touch louder than an S-Flex D. I doubt I could hear them over a non-Corsair PSU tbh.

Vapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanki
Hmmm.. now we just need to see a 3-fan monster, with a Sharkoon-Delta-Sharkoon sandwich setup .
How about a Delta-Delta? GFB (76mm counter-rotating) on top of a TFB

Anyway, enough fun...gotta get going to work

Quote:
Ahh. You know, you're not the first person to report that about the vibration issue with that fan/mount design... isn't it ironic that a design intended to reduce vibration actually causes it? (<-- golf clap for the AC engineer for that one... maybe needs to take some more night-classes).
Interesting....

Vapor

Quote:
I don't want to spend a lot of time on the fan as it makes weird vibrational noises when mounted (even with silicone 'screws')....anybody who has one knows the weird way they mount the fan onto the frame....IMO, it's bogus since in my hands, it's a nearly-normal sounding fan...but on a case, it isn't at all. I've tried just placing it on the case, a loose mount, a TIGHT mount and silicone screws...all have this weird vibration noise.
Ahh. You know, you're not the first person to report that about the vibration issue with that fan/mount design... isn't it ironic that a design intended to reduce vibration actually causes it? (<-- golf clap for the AC engineer for that one... maybe needs to take some more night-classes).

Spanki

Hmmm.. now we just need to see a 3-fan monster, with a Sharkoon-Delta-Sharkoon sandwich setup .

Spanki

Quote:
How about a Delta-Delta? GFB (76mm counter-rotating) on top of a TFB

Anyway, enough fun...gotta get going to work

Vapor

Quote:
Sucking and Blowing is what fans are s'posed to do .

Seriously though... that's odd. Maybe the turbulence pattern is just more defined with that one? Have you tried adding any kind of air-straighteners?
I tried hand-ducting (putting my hands around it to make it a closed frame)....didn't help. May be turbulence....but then I'd expect the radiator tests to be 'normal' and they weren't. The spinning turbulence is A LOT weaker than the Delta's. Deltas get negative CFM readings in push...heh, this one got positive readings, and up near ~15CFM (for a fan that spins the wrong way, that's really high, means very little turbulence).

I don't want to spend a lot of time on the fan as it makes weird vibrational noises when mounted (even with silicone 'screws')....anybody who has one knows the weird way they mount the fan onto the frame....IMO, it's bogus since in my hands, it's a nearly-normal sounding fan...but on a case, it isn't at all. I've tried just placing it on the case, a loose mount, a TIGHT mount and silicone screws...all have this weird vibration noise.

Vapor

Quote:
Just tried the Delta LE Triblade (72CFM) on top of a Sharkoon 2000....both at 12V. 103.7CFM, 40.7dBA, and 85.3CFM on the radiator (only a 17.8% drop!).

For comparison....the San Ace does 100.5CFM at 40.7dBA and only 71.8CFM on the radiator at that voltage (10V).

When the Sharkoon is placed on top of the Delta....both at 12V: 108.6CFM, 40.9dBA (higher pitched though), and 90.5CFM on the radiator (16.7% drop!)
Hehe.. I was just going to suggest that you see if reversing the order made any difference and as I was typing that in, I noticed the quoted text had already been updated with the info. Interesting results!

Spanki

Quote:
Also, the AC12 seems to be completely incompatible with my testbed. Either that or it sucks. Open framed Thermaltake worked okay and the reverse-spin Deltas were okay....but the AC12 just blows.

Sucking and Blowing is what fans are s'posed to do .

Seriously though... that's odd. Maybe the turbulence pattern is just more defined with that one? Have you tried adding any kind of air-straighteners?

Spanki

I tried that in the beginning with just two 45CFM fans (Yate and the Scythe IIRC)....works well. I haven't tried with two counter-rotating fans (the Delta Triblade and the AC12 both spin in the wrong direction). I'll try the Delta Triblade LE and another similar fan....see what I can pull.

Also, the AC12 seems to be completely incompatible with my testbed. Either that or it sucks. Open framed Thermaltake worked okay and the reverse-spin Deltas were okay....but the AC12 just blows.

Just tried the Delta LE Triblade (72CFM) on top of a Sharkoon 2000....both at 12V. 103.7CFM, 40.7dBA, and 85.3CFM on the radiator (only a 17.8% drop!).

For comparison....the San Ace does 100.5CFM at 40.7dBA and only 71.8CFM on the radiator at that voltage (10V).

When the Sharkoon is placed on top of the Delta....both at 12V: 108.6CFM, 40.9dBA (higher pitched though), and 90.5CFM on the radiator (16.7% drop!)

Vapor

@Vapor,

Have you tried stacking the open framed AC fan(it spins the opposite way)
on top of any other fans? (say an undervolted 3 blade delta)

_G_

Vapor,

Thanks a lot for all your help, I think you've helped me make my decision. For only $12.95 for the controller and about $3.50 for the YL I think I'm in business.

You rock

GameGuru

Yeah, that Sunbeam is what a lot of us use....very good controller, though it wears over time when pushed with high-draw fans.

Vapor

I just found this http://www.sunbeamtech.com/index-2.html
looked at a bunch of reviews which were are all great and there only about $12
I guess I could run two of them.

What do you think?

GameGuru

Well damn that sucks, I thought I found something good, looks like I'll keep looking around unless you know of something else or a better controller?

GameGuru

It'll do the job for sure....BUT, the one I've been planning to make will have 12V/7V/off and be able to do ~250W per channel (technically it'll be limited by the PSU and wires). Just an extremely simple setup, no circuitry really, just a few wires and switches

Vapor

Quote:
I was going to make one a lot like that tbh....well, with more than 8W of load (wtf actually....what kind of switches are they using that are so weak?! must be something else in the design), so yeah, that would work very well.

EDIT: well, damn....that design sucks. Rather than switching from 12V/ground to a 12V/5V to a 12V/- setup, they have a semi-pwm setup :-/ Guess I'm still making my own (that will have nearly as much load handling as my PSU can...just simple switches, no crazy circuitry).
Sorry, what do you mean by the switches being weak?

GameGuru

I was going to make one a lot like that tbh....well, with more than 8W of load (wtf actually....what kind of switches are they using that are so weak?! must be something else in the design), so yeah, that would work very well.

EDIT: well, damn....that design sucks. Rather than switching from 12V/ground (12V operating voltage) to a 12V/5V (7V operating voltage) to a 12V/open (off) setup, they have a semi-pwm setup :-/ Guess I'm still making my own (that will have nearly as much load handling as my PSU can...just simple switches, no crazy circuitry).

Vapor

Quote:
As for whether or not you want to put them on a fan controller, or in what groupings (I don't know of a fan controller that can do 7 individual channels). Again, that's up to you. I think fan controllers are great since your system won't be at full load 24/7 (unless you crunch and have no GPU....and in that case 7 fans may be excessive anyway, lol), so why keep your fans a full speed 24/7.
I've been doing a little digging around and came up with a fan controller that does control 6 fans although it's not adjustable via a rotary dial (being able to fully control the rpm's) just switch's that go from 12v, 7v and off. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/98...17&id=v7qNg76q

Maybe this would work?

GameGuru

Well, running 7 of then would be nearly 9dBA higher than just 1 (regardless of which fan you choose, it'd be 9dBA higher). So 7 SLs will sound like 1 SH (or there abouts). This is past my tolerance for noise...but some people can take it (and then some).

7 SHs would sound loud...lol.

As for whether or not you want to put them on a fan controller, or in what groupings (I don't know of a fan controller that can do 7 individual channels). Again, that's up to you. I think fan controllers are great since your system won't be at full load 24/7 (unless you crunch and have no GPU....and in that case 7 fans may be excessive anyway, lol), so why keep your fans a full speed 24/7.

Vapor

If you want blingy LEDs, get Petra's D12SL-12 w/ LEDs. Otherwise, just get the regular SLs, SMs, or SHs depending on your noise preferences.

Vapor

Quote:
If you want blingy LEDs, get Petra's D12SL-12 w/ LEDs. Otherwise, just get the regular SLs, SMs, or SHs depending on your noise preferences.
Vapor, just want to say thanks for all your hard work for all of us here on the Xtreme, it's much appreciated.

One last question though, with that many fans running, say I'm using the SL's, how loud do you think it would be? Do you think I should put them on a fan controller? I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of how loud this thing is going to be once I get it all up and running and having the option to run that many fans seems like it could get pretty noisy.

Thanks again

GameGuru

i like this thread.. the reason i bought yate loon fans becuase of this :P

xenoasd

Speaking of Yate Loons, I just purchased a Stacker 832 and when trying to make a decision on 7 120mm fans it just made sense to go with Yates because of the price point. So my question is, with that many fans what model of Yates would one go with for optimal air flow and noise or would it make sense to put them all on a fan controller? Please help me decide as I just can't justify paying $15-$20 a piece for other models.

GameGuru

Yeah, and at the time I needed replies for input....I don't really any longer, so I can restick it I guess...

Vapor

So...you're saying you'd rather people not read this thread now?

Gautam

Quote:
Originally Posted by skane
what do you mean with the nexus is incredible? higher cfm than expected, quieter than expected,...?
higher CFM, very, very little noise and what noise there is has to be the least obtrusive sound a a fan has ever made.....undervolts well too

Vapor

Run across any horizontal mountable (non-sleeve bearing) fans yet? I'm starting the hunt for something quiet to replace my Antec Tri-Cool.

Spanki

Quote:
Run across any horizontal mountable (non-sleeve bearing) fans yet? I'm starting the hunt for something quiet to replace my Antec Tri-Cool.
If the enermax marathons turn out to be good they might be an option

serialk11r

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r
If the enermax marathons turn out to be good they might be an option
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... but I thought I read (on SPCR?) that the Enlobal bearing was subject to the same sort of issues as sleeve bearings when not running vertical.

Spanki

yeah i checked out jab-tech large image view. I have SL & SM i looked they look exactly the same. hahaha good to know that the plastic bag test still works for me. OH then i should get SH instead since they will be having the SM ratings instead then.

Scythe Minebea's are by NMB Minebea. Scythe didn't even relabel the fans NMB deserves the credit there if thats true. Amazing stuff and thanks to scythe for providing the quieter smaller versions for computer users.

on a dumbass note from me. i got myself a scythe kamabay. the stock fan that comes with it spins at 800rpm. the kamabay has a mesh and a filter. so there is NO air coming thru. this is the most useless fan in the whole casing !

Ar3s

what do you mean with the nexus is incredible? higher cfm than expected, quieter than expected,...?

skane

Just got my PTS package today....Scythe Minebeas, Nexus 120mm, a couple Sunons, their version of the YL D12SL-12 clear blue, and BOTH the YL D12SH-12 and D12SM-12. The SM has been OOS everywhere, even PTS, but I talked to Alex and he had an extra and we agreed to (because PayPal is a PITA) order an SH and then swap with an SM at his side. Well Quoc included both and handwrote a nice note

In other news, I'm a dumbass.

Yesterday the USPS guy left one of those "I came, I rang, You didn't sign" notes on my door saying that the Jab-Tech package needed to be signed for....so I go to the Postal Office today at 1:30 and they're closed

In yet other pieces of news....the YL SM at 12/7V does 55.3/35.8CFM and the SH does 76.6/49.3CFM. My ear and unofficial numbers say they're nice and quiet

Oh, and the SM has the SL's blade geometry (I think...my SL is in a case and spinning right now, so I can't 100% verify that)...the SH has a different one.

Oh, and the Nexus 120mm D12SL-12 is INCREDIBLE in my prelim testings...

Oh, and on the Scythe Minebea's....on all three for 12V, I'm getting within .1CFM accuracy to their claimed CFM. Kudos to Scythe for having realistic CFM ratings! Not that mine are super-scientifically accurate, but .1CFM difference (at most) on all three fans....that says something, IMO. The dBA ratings, that's anothers story, BUT....very different environements as well.

Vapor

Okay, I'm keeping the CPU tests, but only going to do them at 7,9, and 12V.

Also of note is that today I started playing with my SilenX's and a few 140mm fans. The SilenX's aren't too bad....I've been having problems with inaudible (higher frequency than I can hear) ambient noise from SOME source that wasn't present last night that I have yet to find so no 'official' dBA numbers at all on these.

The 120x120x38 that claims 90CFM pushes 60CFM in my tests, while the 120x120x25 that claims 72CFM pushes 55.9ishCFM in my tests. They seem pretty quiet and undervolt fairly well (no extraneous noise). BUT, the motors get bloody hot....much hotter than even the monster Delta 190CFM EHE. They're aesthetically pleasing, though very light....kinda feel cheap because of the lack of weight. They are absolutely not magic fans.

My 140mm experience has been lackluster so far....I just can't get any of the Aerocools or even the Yate to pull their claimed CFM (the Yate being the furthest off). The Aerocools fall right at the +-10% they use as padding....so that's okay....but the Yate is puzzling me. The 14SM-12 claims 62CFM when I can only get ~43CFM out of it. It is exceedingly quiet....much quieter than the claimed 29dB (getting around 26.5 in the screwy ambient....). I'm wondering if I have a mislabeled and rare 14SL-12.

EDIT2: On-board RPM reading says 1100RPM on a sensor that over-reads by ~6% on every other fan I've tested (IDK how though....isn't that one of the simplest circuits?) Looks like I have a D14SL-12....ugh, lol

Vapor

well you will see the exact same thing with the D12SM. i don't know why just my opinion but they don't push as much as their claim. 70cfm please....

Ar3s

I've also doubted the 70CFM @ 1650RPM (esp considering the D12SL does 48CFM@1350 with the same geometry [I think])....but 62@1400 (on a 140mm) is perfectly fine and expected. It just doesn't spin much faster than 1035RPM or so....and is frankly one of the nicest sounding fans @12V I've ever (not) heard. Has to be a mislabled D14SL-12....which is nice and all, but the SM variant is what I wanted to test....looks like I'll go fan hunting again.

Vapor

Quote:
The things we do for that extra 1%
...true, but it's another data-point, that could be the (hypothetical) difference in:

"Fan A sounds better than Fan B AND it can make this thing 4C cooler in the process"

vs.

"Fan A sounds better than Fan B, but probably cools a little worse, given that data on the radiator test".

...more data points help make better informed buying decisions .

Spanki

Quote:
TBH, I really liked the CPU tests as well...shows just what the extra noise can gain (in that scenario at least...). It did mostly corroborate, but you're right, a few key parts were different. One key thing about it is that it took fan geometry into account....especially hub size and things like that. No doubt it's useful the more I think about it, but damn it's a PITA....lol.
Good points as well. Blade and Hub geometry are kinda actually the big question here. Some folks claim that pretty much any fan turning at X rpm wil move the same amount of air as any other same-size fan spinning at X rpm... even though thier own testing data doesn't really support that claim.

I "don't know" if there's any truth to that claim or not, so I'm interested in finding out . Some fans have really large hubs, reducing the blade size... some have really small hubs (like the Scythe 100mm fans), allowing for larger blade sizes and then some (like the SilenX) have blade wrapped up onto the hub. Then you get to the 'scooped' fan blades, like used on a Cooler Master Hyper Tx, with a rounded/knob hub-cap, then you have your Golfball blades (with a fairly large hub), etc.

Is that all 'just' marketing gimmicks? Or does it make some measureable difference (ie. if it makes it quieter or at least more pleasing, maybe I can run it faster for more cfm compared to some other fan, etc.).

Spanki

See, the thing about the heatsink test was to show deficiencies in certain designs.....yeah, some fans may get a lot of airflow, but if the hub is too big or the airflow is concentrated to only certain parts of the HSF due to funky blades, then it may not cool as well as a diffuse pattern of airflow or a small-hubbed fan.

Again, I'll sleep on it.....I may build yet another dedicated rig for this now that I think about it more....lol.

The things we do for that extra 1%

Vapor

Quote:
Maybe if the heatsink test is a pain, there's some other way to do a second test on the radiator with more/less impedence?
I like this idea...I'll see what I can rig up for a rig with more impedance (I have a mesh grate I'd like to use for a low-restriction setup).

TBH, I really liked the CPU tests as well...shows just what the extra noise can gain (in that scenario at least...). It did mostly corroborate, but you're right, a few key parts were different. One key thing about it is that it took fan geometry into account....especially hub size and things like that. No doubt it's useful the more I think about it, but damn it's a PITA....lol.

I'll sleep on it.

Heck, I have a spare TTBT, I could do a CFM test on that too (EDIT: actually, logistically, I can't....so nvm).

Vapor

I have an idea. Instead of looking at the temps on the CPU, strap the heatsink on and measure the airflow. That way you can see which fans perform well with restriction, and without the hassle (because obviously, more airflow=better performance).

serialk11r

At the very bottom of its working voltage range (4ishV), it was still audible...not loud, but if it were the only thing in the room, you'd notice it.

Can't get better/official numbers until I get a new DMM :-/ (or a new fuse, but I think it's time I get a new DMM anyway)

EDIT: just realized that made no sense above....lol. Anyway, with the thunderstorm, audio tests are useless....and if I wanted to plot the U1A vs. the San Ace, I'll need to get my DMM working anyway.

Vapor

No problem . On the cpu testing... that was one of the features that I really liked about your review. I'm not sure that the radiator numbers line up exactly (must be difference in the amount of impedence)...

If you look at the all-stars, adjusted db on radiator, at the 27-28db range (where the low speed fans top out), the FN121 is measuring just under 30cfm, the bottom end of the U1A is roughly the same (but a bit louder), and the YL is pushing ~4cfm more than either of those. But then when you look at the final chart (cooling processor, adjusted dba) at that same 27-28dba range, the FN121 is doing a better job on the heatsink than the YL (which was doing better on the radiator). It's only a couple degrees, but the radiator chart kinda paints a different picture, as it were .

Maybe if the heatsink test is a pain, there's some other way to do a second test on the radiator with more/less impedence?

...of course the more interesting fans (to me, at least) are the medium speed ones, which seem to perform well in either case at that dbA level (with some breathing room on either side of that speed).

Spanki

Ouch your multimeter broke...I hope it wasn't a good one i have a 10 dollar one

serialk11r

Ah, yeah...sorry for any confusion. The Sharkoon, FN121, U1A and SHE are all retests.

Vapor

Quote:
the San Ace is just incredible, freaking incredible. At ~7V it preliminarily pushes more air quieter than the Sharkoon does at 12V
..but I take it that it's still somewhat loud at ~5v? Sounds like it may not have enough lower range.

Edit: hmm... just referenced your original chart again and it looks like the U1A gets down to YL 12v dbA range at 5v, so maybe there's some hope, if it's comming up quieter than the U1A at 7v.

Spanki

Re-test.. ahh, cool.

Spanki

0 1 2 3 4
Previous Question:  P5k-E or IP-35 Pro  XtremeSystems Forums  Intel Info And SupportNext Question:  P5WDH reboot issue  XtremeSystems Forums  Intel Info And Support

- Source: 26 120mm Fans Tested and Compared XtremeSystems Forums Air Cooling
- Previous Question: P5k-E or IP-35 Pro XtremeSystems Forums Intel Info And Support
- Next Question: P5WDH reboot issue XtremeSystems Forums Intel Info And Support