Home  |  About  | Last |  Submit  |  Contact
AllQuests.com



Previous Question:  turn physx off  Videocards vs General Purpose NVIDIA Ageia PhysX, GPGPU etc.Next Question:  8.761 Win All July 27 10  Videocards ATI Drivers Section
Question Mafia 2 PhysX Problem ( Guru3D.com Forums Videocards vs General Purpose NVIDIA Ageia PhysX, GPGPU etc. )
Updated: 2010-08-17 10:40:18 (62)
Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Hey everyone,

I just downloaded the Mafia 2 Demo via Steam and I found out that if you run the game it installs a new PhysX software on your PC which is called 9.10.0512 by the way. But with this software PhysX wont run on any GPU on my PC, just CPU only which gave me about 13 FPS in the Mafia 2 Demo benchmark. I checked back with other games like Metro 2033 or GRAW 2 and same there. When I go back to PhysX software 9.10.0224 which also is the official one you get by Nvidia everything runs fine again just the Mafia 2 demo wont start without installing to the new PhysX software. My guess it the new PhysX software wont run with the 258.96 Drivers.I will try the new beta-drivers that came out today 259. something maybe that helps. Let me know if you have the same problem and perhaps a work-around! Cheers!


UPDATE - fixed here:

http://www.guru3d.com/news/mafia-ii-...tware-9100513/

Answers: Mafia 2 PhysX Problem ( Guru3D.com Forums Videocards vs General Purpose NVIDIA Ageia PhysX, GPGPU etc. )
Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Let me know if you have the same problem
Well, looks same to me (screen)
Visual Indicator is showing PhysX CPU, while it is set to GTX470 in drivers, performance is bad too

Zogrim

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

I do have the same problem with Physx. 259.12 doesn't work with this Physx version, I haven't tried the developer driver that came out today yet.

Radical_53

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Physx works here...is it supposed to? I notice many more bits of scrap on the floor etc. I don't have any second card ...

(4870x2)

mangaroo

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

It works, yes. But the new Physx version that comes with the game destroys the Physx performance completely.
For example my GPU utilization and framerate jump up like mad if I disable Physx in the Mafia 2 demo, other games using Physx that previously ran nicely (Shift, Batman:AA) are totally crippled with this new software.
Maybe it needs a new core driver to work right but it definitely doesn't right now.

Radical_53

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Yeah same here, it murders my GTX480.

Without Physx i get 85FPS average but with it enabled on medium i get just 18FPS.

billyboyd

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMax Tuner
But with this software PhysX wont run on any GPU on my PC, just CPU only which gave me about 13 FPS in the Mafia 2 Demo benchmark.
How can you tell whether it's running on the CPU or GPU? When turning PhysX to high, my frame rate also drops to about 14 FPS. But my graphics card is old, so this may be entirely normal.

However, I've read similar performance numbers in threads all over the internet. Even people with GTX 480 cards are reporting between 14 and 17 FPS.

ct03

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

When I run the benchmark with my GTX 480 it gets down to about 19fps average when I turn on medium PhysX, but at the same time the GPU usage according to Afterburner doesn't go past 50% and CPU usage doesn't max out either.

BeeJAyP

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct03
How can you tell whether it's running on the CPU or GPU? When turning PhysX to high, my frame rate also drops to about 14 FPS. But my graphics card is old, so this may be entirely normal.

However, I've read similar performance numbers in threads all over the internet. Even people with GTX 480 cards are reporting between 14 and 17 FPS.
Well I turned on the PhysX-Indicator in the Nvidia CP and with the new PhysX software it always says CPU when it should say GPU, also the same in Metro 2033 and GRAW 2.

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangaroo
Physx works here...is it supposed to? I notice many more bits of scrap on the floor etc. I don't have any second card ...

(4870x2)
Yeah..but you`re using an ATI card...are you running it on a dedicated PhysX card with the ATI-PhysX patch?! Because otherwise you would only have CPU for PhysX.

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

GPU-Z and GPU Caps Viewer showed no GPU PhysX after Mafia II demo installation. I've installed 259.31 drivers and reinstalled PhysX. Now GPU-Z and Caps Viewer shows GPU PhysX. Gonna run benchmark and see if it really works now.

XBEAST

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

I'm having the same issue, physX indicator shows it using cpu, where it should be using my 9600GT.

Copey

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Try uninstalling the PhysX package and then reinstall it again (the file is in Mafia II Demo directory, under Steamapps). It worked for me.
Now PhysX is on GPU.

sertopico

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sertopico
Try uninstalling the PhysX package and then reinstall it again (the file is in Mafia II Demo directory, under Steamapps). It worked for me.
Now PhysX is on GPU.
Yeah does work for me as well. I think all others should try this as well. As said the PhysX software is in the Steamapps/common/Mafia 2 demo/3rd Folder.

Now getting around Avg. 42 FPS with everything cranked up at 1920x1200!
I hope I can squeeze out more once SLI is working properly because the scaling
according to the indicator is bad or SLI is not working at all.

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

I got the GPU Physx working now by installing the newer 259.31 driver.
I still do have a very low GPU usage when Physx is enabled. Performance jumped to ~32fps in the benchmark with Physx on high and everything on max, I guess that's good enough to run the demo for now.

Radical_53

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sertopico
Try uninstalling the PhysX package and then reinstall it again (the file is in Mafia II Demo directory, under Steamapps). It worked for me.
Now PhysX is on GPU.
That worked, nice one.

getting about 42 fps average with physX on meduim and 37 with high, everything max obviously.

Copey

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

mm really strange...
i'm getting 42 with all max out. physx High @1920x1200
any idea why low score?
using 259.31

ps.with physx off getting 62 fps average @1920x1200
and the most funny thing is i'm getting 63 fps average with physx off and all low @1920x1200

Kill4L

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

i think the physx driver is the problem, with this new driver i sometimes have weird slowdowns kinda like the gpu stops rendering physx and leaves it for the cpu, for 1-2 seconds, then it works fine..this happens in Batman AA too, i hope they release a fix or something.

isidore

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill4L
mm really strange...
i'm getting 42 with all max out. physx High
any idea why low score?
using 259.31

ps.with physx off getting 62 fps average
and the most funny thing is i'm getting 63 fps average with physx off and all low
I guess there isn`t a driver out there who already has been optimized for Mafia 2 since I only get around 42 FPS in the benchmark at 1920x1200 all maxed out which in comparison to other setups here seem kinda slow to me or maybe my setup is just gettin`old. I checked my GPU temps in a new logfile I started right before playing the demo and after I was thru again after 8 min. my two 275GTX toped out at 92?C which tells me SLI is working but the SLI indicator shows bad SLI performance. My GT240 I have as dedicated PPU got up to 87?C on PhysX high...so yeah that one is finally working!

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

I made a screenshot to show how bad SLI is working. I was running EVGA Precision to get an idea how stressed my GPUs and my PPU are. See for yourself I have bad FPS but during the whole benchmark they barely crack 65% usage. Having that solved in a new driver together with a SLI profile will definately give SLI users a boost and also potent card user who are having a modded 470GTX or 480GTX.

Lets wait and see what time will bring...but even with these slow FPS the demo runs very smooth!

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMax Tuner
Yeah does work for me as well. I think all others should try this as well. As said the PhysX software is in the Steamapps/common/Mafia 2 demo/3rd Folder.

Now getting around Avg. 42 FPS with everything cranked up at 1920x1200!
I hope I can squeeze out more once SLI is working properly because the scaling
according to the indicator is bad or SLI is not working at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copey
That worked, nice one.

getting about 42 fps average with physX on meduim and 37 with high, everything max obviously.
Glad to hear it.

Anyway the game is still heavy to handle with PhysX on Medium and a GTX470...

sertopico

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Yeah, once again, no CF\SLi support here, hence bad overall framerate. Will report more tech stuff in Demo thread. What's for this one, APEX on "high" works just fine for me, no slowdowns\overheat, PPU usage is 80% max, PPU temps - 45C max. Framerate barely goes under 40fps with 45+ fps most of the time in benchmark.


Indeo

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sertopico
Glad to hear it.

Anyway the game is still heavy to handle with PhysX on Medium and a GTX470...
Runs great for me on medium, remember tho a dediacted card will still be quicker than a 470 on its own.

Copey

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indeo
Yeah, once again, no CF\SLi support here, hence bad overall framerate. Will report more tech stuff in Demo thread. What's for this one, APEX on "high" works just fine for me, no slowdowns\overheat, PPU usage is 80% max, PPU temps - 45C max. Framerate barely goes under 40fps with 45 fps most of the time in benchmark.

So the PhysX works fine with ATI GPU's + an nvidia card for PhysX? Im debating picking up an 8800GT for just that reason if it works ok

MikeMK

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMK
So the PhysX works fine with ATI GPU's + an nvidia card for PhysX? Im debating picking up an 8800GT for just that reason if it works ok
Yeah with the patch/crack it does, i would get a 9600GT instead of the 8800GT mike, less power and heat plus does the job just aswell.

Copey

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

ugh... got rank D , 32fps avg. ive seen physx on my gpu go to 23% , was when the guy was walking through the fire and smoke.
hopefully future drivers will improve performance.

WhiteLightning

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

seems like i found a good combination for physx, nvidia 258.96+physx 09.10.512.
Batman AA:
min-25 avg 50 max-60 old drivers
min-28 avg-51 max-61 new drivers
A nice 3 fps increase there.
Mafia 2:
min-29 avg-48.211 max-63
same as before but alot smoother now.

the max fps is locked cause of V-sync.

isidore

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copey
Yeah with the patch/crack it does, i would get a 9600GT instead of the 8800GT mike, less power and heat plus does the job just aswell.
K, thanks for the tip. I can grab an 8800GT cheaper by the looks of it, thats all. BTW can u link me to the patch/crack u mentioned?

MikeMK

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMK
K, thanks for the tip. I can grab an 8800GT cheaper by the looks of it, thats all. BTW can u link me to the patch/crack u mentioned?
here's everything you need

http://www.ng ohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-04ff.html

without the space between ng and ohq

isidore

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Thanks m8

MikeMK

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMK
So the PhysX works fine with ATI GPU's + an nvidia card for PhysX? Im debating picking up an 8800GT for just that reason if it works ok
It works just fine and looks fantastic, but the game itself is horribly unoptimized, at least for my config... Even when you just stand at the very same place it jumps from 70+ to 30 fps and back within a second. Considering that, I re-run the benchmark after finishing playthrough... Got +10 fps avg and no dips under 40 at all. Updated pic in my first post.

Indeo

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

I kinda manage to fix that issue, not 100% but a bit with nvidia 258.96+physx 09.10.0512..but like i said, a bit i still get this weird drops and increases in frames in Mafia 2.

And another weird thing if i start playing the game without running the benchmark i have like 15-20 fps at start, but if i run the benchmark first i have 35-47 fps at start..i'm guessing is cause of the physx it's really bad implemented.

isidore

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by isidore
I kinda manage to fix that issue, not 100% but a bit with nvidia 258.96+physx 09.10.0512..but like i said, a bit i still get this weird drops and increases in frames in Mafia 2.

And another weird thing if i start playing the game without running the benchmark i have like 15-20 fps at start, but if i run the benchmark first i have 35-47 fps at start..i'm guessing is cause of the physx it's really bad implemented.
It's probably unrelated to PhysX, just poor overall coding or lack of driver support. I'm running the same Nvidia driver & PhysX version, btw.

*gone writing a report for teh Demo thread*

Indeo

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Weird GPU usage when Physx is enabled using the Physx that came with the demo. The Physx indicator says it's working on the GPU.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=487

ShadowMyth

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

i'm guessing that's what happening to all of us, and that's why performance is so smooth and stable without physx..like i said, i'm guessing bad implementation of physx, this needs to be fixed in the full game, although i'll bet that the full game will be released with the same issue and a patch will be released in a couple of days after the release.

isidore

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

i had no physx too, but i repaired it through control and patched with physx mod as administrator and now it works.

Funky Doodle

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by isidore
i'm guessing that's what happening to all of us, and that's why performance is so smooth and stable without physx..like i said, i'm guessing bad implementation of physx, this needs to be fixed in the full game, although i'll bet that the full game will be released with the same issue and a patch will be released in a couple of days after the release.
Or maybe like some other games they`ll release a patch a few days before the game hits the stores but this is what you get when you not doing thorough Beta-Tests anymore. Look at ID-Software games, always Beta-Testing and always running strong from day one, at least technically.

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Well, the game hasn't been released yet so there's still hope Think of all the recent EA titles. They all needed several months and at least 1-2 large patches to address the biggest problems.
I really hope they get this right and deliver a working package with nice, high-res textures and fully utilized GPUs.

Radical_53

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_53
Well, the game hasn't been released yet so there's still hope Think of all the recent EA titles. They all needed several months and at least 1-2 large patches to address the biggest problems.
I really hope they get this right and deliver a working package with nice, high-res textures and fully utilized GPUs.
True, we really should buy the games about a year later when everything is fixed and in that case as EA Classics for 20 bucks... thats the way to do it if they`re not changing their attitude, so why spending full price at the beginning for a crappy running game when you can have it cheaper and fully working later on!

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Absolutely, yes. It's hard if you're looking for a multiplayer title but that's how I normally behave for pure singleplayer titles. Their campaigns get shorter and shorter so I want to enjoy them completely. If that comes with a smaller price tag, even better Well worth the wait.

Radical_53

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem


asder00

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

good find asder

got 5870 Cf setup and game runs average 50/60 fps @ 2560 x 1600 wihout physx

when i turn physx on my fps goes from 70 to 30 fps in benchmark....

Cyrax

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

I just found this post by "?L?" in the Mafia 2 Demo Thread!
Nice find! I will give it a try maybe it helps!

Thanks to ?L? for the find!

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=326793&page=3

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

So I was just testing this new PhysX Software 9.10.513 and it didn`t gave any FPS boost on my system but I think thats due to bad SLI-scaling on my rig. But I noticed the FPS are more settled, not those weird jumps we`ve seen. Seems smoother overall!

I would like to see some results of people running graphics and PhysX on the same GPU, my guess is that in this case the new software will give some additional FPS.

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Testing it now (GTX 260 physx and graphics)

?: much, much better

ShadowDuke

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuke
Testing it now (GTX 260 physx and graphics)

?: much, much better
Nice! So it seems to help! So now we just have to wait for some new ForceWare drivers which are having optimizations for Mafia 2....maybe the Demo gets updated by 2K Games as well (which I doubt because its just the Demo).

Cheers!

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

They already did that. The demo got an update today, I haven't tested it so far though. Also Nvidia drivers 259.12 and 259.31 should have a profile for Mafia 2.

Radical_53

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

..The Update is just 513 Physx fix..see 3rd dir..

ShadowDuke

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Mine keeps freezing after 2-4 minutes of gameplay, so odd.

cat_fish_1

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuke
..The Update is just 513 Physx fix..see 3rd dir..
Ok, well. I guess then I won't need to try it out and see what's new. I already tried the demo with 513 and the problems remained (after solving the problem Physx was running on CPU I still get highly fluctuacting frame rates and GPU utilization).

Radical_53

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Well I`ve tried the Demo after the update and the only thing I can say is that I haven`t found a bit that changed with the update. Performance is the same so is the demo.

Cheers!

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Ive tried all suggestions on this thread and I cant get Physx to run on my GPU.

[EDIT] GPUZ reports my GPU doesnt have PHYSX and is running on PCI Express 1.1 instead of PCI Express 2.0

Steve30x

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

i dunno whats been going on...but if i set physx to my GTX470..and run apex on High in game..physx indicator says GPU..then i get hardly any useage on my 470 (15 to 30% max!) and my CPU is maxed out..

but if i run physx set to my 9400GT..i get 70-80% usage on the 470 and about 92% usage on the 9400..and cpu usage drops to about half...

im using 259.31s and the .513 physx...

its weird aswell...sometimes ill run the benchmark and get fps of over 60..and other times ill get constant 20 WITH THE SAME SETTINGS! (im restarting the game every time i make a change)..

i think this demo is really, really buggy and not worth wasting any time with...hopefully they'll get it sorted before the games release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30x
Ive tried all suggestions on this thread and I cant get Physx to run on my GPU.

[EDIT] GPUZ reports my GPU doesnt have PHYSX and is running on PCI Express 1.1 instead of PCI Express 2.0
if gpuz cant see physx then it hasnt been installed correctly...

from what ive read.. Apex on Medium requires atleast a GTX470..High requires a dedicated 470 for physx..maybe why you cant get it to run on your 280...and may have somethin to do with my issues!

WacKEDmaN

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Ive uninstalled Physix completely through your uninstaller 2010 and driver sweeper and reinstalled it. Also its just not Apex physix is running on my CPU but all other physix enabled games show that my CPU is being used for physx. Ive enabled the OSD to show wether the GPU or CPU is being used for Physx.

Steve30x

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30x
Ive tried all suggestions on this thread and I cant get Physx to run on my GPU.

[EDIT] GPUZ reports my GPU doesnt have PHYSX and is running on PCI Express 1.1 instead of PCI Express 2.0
Hmm weird, but your card is in the right PCI-E slot right?! And I guess drivers for MB, GPU and PhysX Software are up to date as well.

Did it ran already or you never had PhysX running on your GPU?!

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Yes both PCI Express slots are v2.0 and both are 16x. I had it running with Physix won a dedicated 8800GTX for a while but the 8800GTX died a month ago. I also had Physx running on this GTX280 before. But I think my motherboard might be starting to kick the bucket. Its getting slower every day with the past two weeks and its starting to hang on me when its stressed enough. All drivers for motherboard , GPU and Physx are up to date.

I am about to reinstall windows 7 though because thats gone funny on me also which could also be causing the hangups and slowdowns. Ive tested for spyware , viruses and trojans with nothing present.

EDIT I got the PHYSX working on my GPU after a clean windows install.

Steve30x

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30x
Yes both PCI Express slots are v2.0 and both are 16x. I had it running with Physix won a dedicated 8800GTX for a while but the 8800GTX died a month ago. I also had Physx running on this GTX280 before. But I think my motherboard might be starting to kick the bucket. Its getting slower every day with the past two weeks and its starting to hang on me when its stressed enough. All drivers for motherboard , GPU and Physx are up to date.

I am about to reinstall windows 7 though because thats gone funny on me also which could also be causing the hangups and slowdowns. Ive tested for spyware , viruses and trojans with nothing present.

EDIT I got the PHYSX working on my GPU after a clean windows install.
Yeah the good old Windows...as always full of surprises!!!


VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

This motherboard and CPU is full of surprises also. Its not doing so well lately. I think I am due an upgrade

Steve30x

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30x
This motherboard and CPU is full of surprises also. Its not doing so well lately. I think I am due an upgrade
Tried a new BIOS?! But I hope your board doesn`t turn out to be like my old
ASUS Striker Extreme, man that board was the crapiest piece of hardware I ever
had. ASUS are making very good parts most of the time, but sometimes they are building scrap with a high price-tag on. Probably when QA is on vacation...

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

I have the newest bios installed. This motherboard and CPU is three years old at this stage anyway and its been used a lot. I have a good laptop just in case this dies anyway.

Steve30x

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

The update just downloads the latest PhysX software, which you have to install yourself, you'll find it in Steam/SteamApps/common/Mafia2/3rd.

If you havn't already uninstalled the previous one, then you have to run the latest one twice, as the first time you run it, it will just uninstall the previous, so you have to run it again, so that it will then install the latest.

Rich_Guy

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

Hey guys, I just did a comparison out of curiosity between my rig and my laptop and thought I might post it. As you can see there isn`t much difference in the settings execpt for a little lower resolution, AF only at 8, no AA and PhysX turned off. I have to say since it`s only a 15.4" Screen you won`t even see that the resolution is lower and that AA is off. The only visual noticable difference is the AF. But keep in mind this is only a single 8800M GTX, so basically a 8800 GT. Not to forget, it`s a first generation AW M15x with drivers from the stone age 18X.XX!

VMax Tuner

Mafia 2 PhysX Problem

I just tried the new 259.32 drivers on Mafia 2 and for me there was no difference to the old drivers. But it`s SLI related and since a lot of single-card users found some improvement it`s definately worth a try!

VMax Tuner

Previous Question:  turn physx off  Guru3D.com Forums  Videocards vs General Purpose NVIDIA Ageia PhysX, GPGPU etc.Next Question:  8.761 Win All July 27 10  Guru3D.com Forums  Videocards ATI Drivers Section

- Source: Mafia 2 PhysX Problem Guru3D.com Forums Videocards vs General Purpose NVIDIA Ageia PhysX, GPGPU etc.
- Previous Question: turn physx off Guru3D.com Forums Videocards vs General Purpose NVIDIA Ageia PhysX, GPGPU etc.
- Next Question: 8.761 Win All July 27 10 Guru3D.com Forums Videocards ATI Drivers Section